Who wouldn't wanna be me...

Saturday, July 27, 2013


I wake up on another average Friday. It is somewhat cool for a change, considering we live just a couple degrees off the equator. It is dark and quiet and calm in our neighborhood as I pack my lunch, eat my breakfast and grab my coffee.

Today I'm taking 2 short term missionaries out to the bush so they can encourage the full time missionaries there and experience jungle life for a week.  As I pick up the passengers from a neighbors house I can tell they are already excited and a little nervous about their first time in a small airplane. I try to reassure them and put them at ease with some corny jokes, which usually does the trick.

Taking off out of Kinshasa it is a smooth cloudy day and we pick up some good speed as we transition into cruise. Bringing headsets along I had hoped to chat with 2 first timers to Africa but the early morning took a toll on them and they drifted to sleep by the constant hum of the diesel engine on the 182.



Time goes by and a song pops into my head while the clouds wisp by our wings. It had been a difficult but good few weeks in Kinshasa and I was reflecting on our almost 2 years there. Our curious and mischievous little daughter just turned 1. My beautiful wife and I just celebrated 3 years of marriage. Our house in this far off land was feeling more and more like a home. We had good friends in the country and had already seen a few good ones move on. And let's face it, I get to fly and travel all over the place for free :)

A smile emerges on my face almost out of my control and I just can't believe how God has blessed and loved me so much. The song, I'm now singing out loud, is "Who wouldn't wanna be me" by Kieth Urban (and I don't usually listen to country).

Many say it is dangerous just to live here and others can't imagine single engine, single pilot operations over the vastly un-populated once known land of "the heart of darkness."

I can't imagine being anywhere else with my family and we consider it all gain to serve Him, even though we have given up much. I only pray this feeling, this smile, these thoughts, can stay with me when times get very difficult and it seems we can't go on.

The way home had me flying a missionary kid to get some dental work done in the city. We also stopped and picked up 2 european doctors who had volunteered 2 weeks in small village hospitals with Doctors Without Vacation. And because we had space we added a congolese girl who was coming to visit family she hadn't seen in years.

The smile returns. "Who wouldn't wanna be me..." 


4 comments

  1. I have enjoyed following your blog since you went to Kinshasha. We had David and Sandy Francis at our VBS one night when they were at headquarters in Nampa. Our project this year was to adopt a plane in the DRC. The young family in your picture is from our church. It was great to see their picture on your blog.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool insight into your daily life, Nick! It's amazing what God has been doing in your life. Congrats to you and Jocelyn on your 3 years together. It will be 3 years for Jake and I this year, too. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 <3 <3 awesome post Nick. Love it. I want many of me so I can hang here and hang with you guys too :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you guys and your beautiful little girl today! I hope you guys are doing well I am praying that you would continue to experience the Joy that comes from glorifying God through your service to him.

    "And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." Matthew 19:29

    If you ever need anything let us know!

    Jer

    ReplyDelete

Support our Ministry with MAF

Managers / Pilots / Mechanics / Administrators are needed on the field. As a pilot and advisor, Nick plays a very important role of flying and advising on operations in the WDRC program. DRC is one of the most difficult places to do 'business' there are as many or more difficulties going into the office then flying over the jungles of Congo. However difficult his job is a necessary one; there are numerous isolated places and people in Congo that need MAF to be here.

The only way that we can continue to do the work that Gad has laid before us in Congo is by your generous donations.

We are aware that some partner with us for only a season which leaves an opportunity for others to come along side our ministry; because of that we are always looking those who will partner with us in our ministry with MAF to be able to keep our fundraising goal at 100%. Would you prayerfully ask God if He is prompting you to be a part of our ministry?

Ways to Give:
Online: https://mafc.org/missionarypages/frey/

Mail:
Mission Aviation Fellowship of Canada
102-195 Hanlon Creek Blvd
Guelph, ON N1C 0A1

Phone:
Toll-Free: 1.877.351.9344