When the Generator Cord Breaks

Friday, March 18, 2016

You know that time when power has been out for 12 hours and you go to start your generator but you snap the pull cord and then power continues to be out for another 12 hours. Then since you can't get another cord for another day or so you decide to do things 'á la Congolese ' and just sew the cord back together and it actually stays together and starts the generator?


No?

Just me then ;-)

Funny thing, it's not really that big of a deal. Sometimes it's a bit irksome but life moves on. 
The reason why it's not that big of a deal is that last year I decided that I was not going to get frustrated every time the power goes out. Cause well, it goes out Every. Single. Day. 
So knowing that it's going to happen everyday, if I let myself get frustrated, cause I was in the middle of something or I'm hot and want AC, I'm just setting myself up to have a bad attitude. 
So I decided that I just would not acknowledge when they power goes off or on with frustrations or excitement. It's fluctuations are a fact of life in Congo, so just let it be, it is what it is.

So I broke my generator cord, Nick came home took the generator apart, I sewed the cord together, started the generator and voila life goes on (with hopefully most things still okay in my fridge). Stuff like this happens all the time.

So tomorrow our annual MAF family conference starts, and already the generator cord has snapped. Two people who are coming have had their flights canceled or delayed enough to miss the connection. 
But you know what, we can wing it, sew it back together and work it out. Cause it's what we do and I will not let something so common; flights get canceled all the time; ruin my day or this conference. 

But I am also not devoid of acceptance of reality, and that reality is that God would like to use this time for his glory and the Devil would not and/or God would like to test my patience. So most likely more stuff is going to go wrong.

So I request your prayers for the next week, while we meet together to be refreshed, learn more about the God we serve and to serve one another. 

Pray for wisdom that when another generator cord breaks, that we would be able to still say 'it is well with my soul' that God would direct us in how to handle the situation and that no matter what God would be glorified. Because we are not promised life will be easy, quite the opposite but we know 

 "...How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice "This is the way; walk in it." Isiah 30:19-21

Walk on. 

Here we go.

0 comments

Support our Ministry with MAF

Managers / Pilots / Mechanics / Administrators are needed on the field. As a pilot and advisor, Nick plays a very important role of flying and advising on operations in the WDRC program. DRC is one of the most difficult places to do 'business' there are as many or more difficulties going into the office then flying over the jungles of Congo. However difficult his job is a necessary one; there are numerous isolated places and people in Congo that need MAF to be here.

The only way that we can continue to do the work that Gad has laid before us in Congo is by your generous donations.

We are aware that some partner with us for only a season which leaves an opportunity for others to come along side our ministry; because of that we are always looking those who will partner with us in our ministry with MAF to be able to keep our fundraising goal at 100%. Would you prayerfully ask God if He is prompting you to be a part of our ministry?

Ways to Give:
Online: https://mafc.org/missionarypages/frey/

Mail:
Mission Aviation Fellowship of Canada
102-195 Hanlon Creek Blvd
Guelph, ON N1C 0A1

Phone:
Toll-Free: 1.877.351.9344